Recently during a meeting with a prospective client (who later hired us), I had an interesting run-in with my old friend Positioning. This company makes very high-end components for industrial machinery. When I asked the CEO about competitors, his response was, “We have none…”. As you might guess, this is a German company…
After further discussion, it turned out he was right. These folks had really done their homework on their competitive differentiators. They were tight, clear, and actionable. The result is going to help strengthen the marketing plan we’ll be crafting for them. This was a good reminder of the value of effective positioning. When you have effective positioning you benefit through:
- Better leveraging your marketing budget by not chasing the wrong people and attracting more of the right people.
- Improve the stickiness of your communications efforts – when you know who you are and you connect with the target audience, you generate more impact.
- Enhanced memorability – clear, succinct positioning tends to find a home in people’s heads more readily.
- Reduced agency fees – if we know who you are, we can execute more efficiently and save you money.
- Better campaign metrics – with effective positioning, you will be better able to choose metrics that measure these qualities.
So, what’s your position? Is it clear? Brief? Focused? Truly unique? If not, maybe we should talk.